Friday, October 22, 2010

Skeleton, 2010



Ok so this is as finished as i care to make it.  A couple of things I learnt from my first BJD.

The first is don't even bother trying to create spherical parts for you ball joints no matter how round you think they are. Obviously I didn't think my attempts were perfect, I just didn't think it mattered. I thought that as long as there is sufficient tension created by the internal elastic that is enought to hold everything in place.  The reality is that, yes the tension will keep everything together but if your joints fit perfectly you need far less tension to make it work.

The second is the necessity of getting the sculpt to the best it can possibly look before baking. I have a tendency, especially when working on a trial piece to rush things. i can't remember the amount of time I thought 'I'll just sand that out, or paint it'. NOPE

I will make another one in a few weeks. But first I must order some wooden beads from ebay for the joints.

Next up is a custom action figure using pre-made plastic ball joints

No comments:

Post a Comment